Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Color Story: Green

Welcome to the first in my Color Story series, an occasional photo essay mirroring a project by my creative mother Anne Deister of SpringLeaf Studios. See her Green post here!



fresh, fern, alive, grow, inspiring, moss, spring, inviting, natural, peridot, 
olivine, shamrock, apple, ivy, forest, jungle, vintage, kelly, bamboo, summer



Living Green
I couldn't choose a color that fits my lifestyle better. I love to surround myself with green. It's inspiring and creative. My living room features a green quilt called Offset by SpringLeaf Studios. You can get the pattern and make your own here!

Tentacular
A fabulous word to describe this little green monster.
A tentacled air plant in a clear globe hanging in my apartment.

Spring
This poor little critter was being attacked by a bird. I brought him home in a green towel, tried to feed and calm him before taking him to a local wild bunny rescue. I named him Gus :) A sweet moment this Spring to see such a tiny tiny little baby bunny! 
Quote Necklace by Emily Claire Studio
This quote is a favorite of mine, a Chinese proverb, and one that keeps coming back in my jewelry line. This particular piece on soft green leather went all the way to a lovely customer in Australia.
You can see new versions of this quote in my online shop 
Vegetation
Shades of ivy growing on the side of Monet's house in Vernon, France.
On the right, veggies from the food market in the village of Versailles. 

Paris
Finally made my dream of going to Paris come true this Spring. There was so much green in this city!
Two chairs, inviting us to sit down in the Jardin de Tuileries and enjoy a view of the Louvre.


Jardin
The Gardens of Versailles are more beautiful than the palace. The massive grounds are full of odd topiaries, milky white statues, and deep ponds. I loved to think of the Victorian ladies who strolled the park before me.
Cathedral
Notre Dame was one of the most beautiful sights in Paris. I had thought of it as a medieval dark relic but in reality it's nearly white stone surface sparkled in the sun. Hundreds upon hundreds of carved curlicues, long spiral staircases, and flying buttresses crawling with ivy and gargoyles. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that the Seine is THAT green lol but it made for a great photo op.



Beetle Wings
This little guy is permanently stuck down... which gives me some comfort considering those spike horns. But this super irridescent green shimmery beetle was a gift to my man- to start his bug collection... and it is pretty cool. 


Emerald Hike
A shot from the hike on the way to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. I also met some elk on this hike.


Fall Leaves
This photo is from a series of Instagram posts I did in the Fall of some of the amazing leaves I found.
I can't believe this speckled, almost pixelated look on these leaves.


Jungle House
Contrasting line and shadow of palm leaves in San Diego.
On the right, lilies from the Denver Botanical Garden. 


Vintage Greens
An amazing photo op in Monet's Garden in Vernon, France. He knew how to surround himself with inspiration.


Soft Things
This is Opal! My sweet, fluffy, noisy little beast that loves to crawl under things. Especially when there's thunder.
On the right, a selection of hand-dyed green yarns from the Loopy Ewe in Colorado. 

Leaf Lover
This is my mom. She loves leaves! So much so that her own blog and quilt pattern business is called SpringLeaf Studios. We always make a trip to a greenhouse in the summer to take photos. I like to sneak pics when she isn't looking. 

Rain
From my own backyard. We have an ivy bush I call the "Green Monster".
This photo is from my Instagram- follow me here!


As a last note for today, the Firefly Handmade Market is coming up this weekend, July 25 & 16th
29th Street Mall, Boulder, 10-6 both days

Last summer I participated as a vendor in Firefly for the first time and I'm excited to return again with new jewelry and a colorful fun booth! You'll have fun shopping from all the local handmade artisans. Don't miss it!


2 comments:

  1. Your photographs are amazing. I LOVE the green door with the ivy at Monet's house. All the images are so lovely, fresh and inspiring. Great post. What color will be next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed an artist. Such an eye for design, composition and color. I wouldn't have thought to contrast palm leaves and littles but your "Jungle House" does it with style. Your photos are making me love the color green. I'm wondering how you will see and record other colors!

    ReplyDelete