Sunday, June 21, 2015

10 Lessons for Vending at Craft Markets



Emily Claire Studio has been doing craft markets for a little over a year now. Here are some lessons I've learned about how to be prepared and how to have fun:




1. Do it! Last summer I quit my job, bought a tent, and signed up for markets. I can't say I always believe in myself, but they say you have to fake it till you make it! It is rewarding to be your own boss and people will respect you for the creative work you do.

Just. Do. IT.

2. Create a good website. Simplicity is key. People want to be able to look you up online, so let them know you are a real business with a real website. I tried a lot of website creators and I love GoDaddy. It's simple and inexpensive and gives you WAY more photos and storage space than any of the other website creators. Click here to check out mine.

Logo by Justin Deister


3. Take good photos! Practice makes perfect. I even took a class in college on product photography and still don't feel like I get it right. It's taken me almost three years since then to have photos I'm proud of. Again, I think simplicity is key. I'll be posting my guide to jewelry photography in July.


Photo by Emily Deister


4. Be choosy about which markets you do. After trial and error I've found it's really only worth doing juried markets. Event coordinators for juried markets care what their overall market appearance will be, so they carefully select people with actually handcrafted products (as opposed to buy/sell goods) and a nice display. These shows are usually more expensive to attend, but that money goes towards a nice venue, good advertising, and more customers. Remember that the Markets need to sell themselves to you, just as much as you need to sell yourself to them. If you get accepted to a juried market, it's a good sign that your product, photos, and website are appealing! Click here to see a list of markets I'll be doing in Colorado this year!

June 27th and 28th 


5. Be choosy about the timeline of your markets. Spring, for example, is a slow retail season... like so slow I won't do any markets. Then summer really takes off with markets almost every weekend! Currently I'm realizing that maybe I don't want vend every single weekend of the summer... I'm missing out on BBQs and parties and camping trips. Find a balance with your life. Tune in to what season is good for your product. My jewelry sells better during the summer and fall months than during the Holiday season. You'll only find that out by trying a lot of markets.



6. Buy a decent tent. I got mine $300 from Costco and it's a gem. Treat it well and don't ever EVER try to take that thing down by yourself. They are tricky beasts. Always extend the tent legs two at a time on the same side. So ask for help! When I'm not wrangling parents and brothers and boyfriends into helping me, I just ask a neighbor vendor. Everyone is happy to help :) Also, you MUST have tent weights. It's a danger to you and everyone else if you skip this important piece. Check back in July for a tutorial on how I made mine.

7. Wear closed-toe shoes when you set up/take down. Seriously. I've seen a neighbor drop a tent weight on her foot. Just a total accident that meant lots of blood, a broken toe, and a hospital visit right before a market started. Luckily she had a friend take over her booth. You can switch into cute shoes when everything is set up!



8. You deserve to be here. When I tell people what I do, they think I'm making "a little extra cash" at Grandma's Knitted Craft Fair. I'm training myself to say, "I'm a jewelry artist. I handcraft silver jewelry from raw materials, so I do metalsmithing and use gemstones. Then I sell my work at a few local shops and Fine Craft Markets." I know that the more I build myself up with those explanations the more "real" my business will feel to me and to them. At markets sometimes I do feel like a sideshow when things aren't going well; sitting at a circus, waiting for attention... but I remember that other people wait their whole lives to follow their dreams.

A bad day 

9. Don't listen to that curmudgeon. Some people suck. Like the grumpy old fart who told me my earrings looked like, and I quote: "a piece of earwax on a stick". Or someone who literally told me my display was prettier than my product (like thank you why don't you just slap me across the face instead). As much as I'd like to tell those people to shove off, just smile and shrug. You will encounter the dumbest and weirdest of all people. But, if you remain sweet, you'll also win over returning customers and new friends. I've met some truly awesome people who love to support me and that is what inspires me to keep going.

A photo by a favorite customer!

10. Introduce yourself to the Event Coordinator and your vendor neighbors. Ask the coordinators how to get their attention if you need help, and let your neighbors know you'll watch their booth if they need a bathroom break. Being friendly is like the ultimate best personality trait in my opinion! I usually make a point to visit my neighbors booth and compliment their product, but don't be disappointed if they don't do the same to you. Don't buy things from them just to be nice, but do if you really love their product, or offer to trade. I've made some good friends and business connections by getting out of my own booth.

Girl Power Rings by Emily Claire Studio
*with stamped message on the inside*


I hope you feel inspired and prepared to start vending at Craft Markets!! 

Next week (while preparing for the Denver Flea– June 27/28th) tune in for a "packing" list; 

Things You Need to Attend a Craft Market


2 comments:

  1. A very well written post Emily. I hope it give others a little insight into what all goes into doing markets. There is so much work involved in vending at a market. Set-up, sitting there being friendly all day even when the weather sucks or the customers say unkind things, take-down, shlepping all your stuff to a car. It takes a lot of courage and I am so proud of you. Go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post and very good first hand advice! I was speaking to someone recently who complained about selling at charity fairs (and vowed never to do another one) and your advice covers many of the issues they complained about. All makers, whether they are selling their wares or not, should read #9 as I think we've all experienced that one!

    ReplyDelete