Thursday, November 20, 2014

Shopping Small for All

Hi friends!

When did November arrive? O like 20 days ago, I should have known since my birthday was in there somewhere. Well that means we're speeding along at maximum velocity towards the Christmas Holiday. I've met some awesome shoppers lately who've taken a challenge to "Shop Small for All" their gifts, this has inspired me to think differently not only about what we shop for but how we shop. 





What I like about this idea of shopping small is, of course, that it benefits small businesses, like me, who are standing on tip toe behind the big buck retailers trying to be heard over the glutinous Black Friday sales and flashing neon "Open All Night" signs. Having worked in retail for the past 7-ish years I've come to expect being stressed this time of year. Buckling down for prickly customers, long hours, and lots of glittery broken ornaments. If i never see glitter again...


I'm trying very consciously this year to take time to enjoy the season by going "small". I've actually written time into my schedule to go shopping just to look, to see the seasonal decorations, enjoy the sights and scents, and be inspired by what others have to offer without feeling compelled to buy buy buy! When it snows I've vowed to stop what I'm doing for a moment, get bundled up warm, and take a walk. Take time to set up the tree, try some new recipes (and the classics), and have Game Night with the family. 

more ways to go "Small" this season on www.livingwellspendingless.com

It's a struggle to not be consumed by consumerism. There is nothing wrong with buying things... but it can become a more fulfilling experience when we try to value the whole process; the person who designed and made it, the work that goes into selling it, the excitement of finding it, the accomplishment of wrapping, and the enjoyment of opening, the gratitude of receiving. 

While we can value the act of gift giving we can also be conscious that it's not the only thing we are giving. When you shop small you are giving a meaningful gift to your loved one and also giving back to the artist or maker who created that item, which is especially impactful on your direct community when it's a local artisan. It benefits us "All". 

I have made a small, but meaningful, list for each of my loved ones and by shopping at holiday handmade markets, on Etsy, and at independently owned shops I'm sure this time I will enjoy the shopping experience as much as they will enjoy the opening part!

wrapping ideas from www.stylelogistics.com

So to inspire you to find special gifts I'll be posting new ideas every day on Instagram and Polyvore. These will be complete gift package ideas: all the things you need for a best friend, a recently engaged gal pal, your precious momma, beautiful teenage cousin. I will be consciously including some of my fellow Firefly and Sugar Plum makers as well as some less expensive items from other retailers. 

To start off here's a favorite color scheme of the moment: Deep Forest Greens with some new earrings of mine that I would love to wear all day, every day!

Earrings by Emily Claire Studio, Wood ring by Twigs and Treen, Hair Oil by Canopy Skincare
All local Boulder Small Businesses. Pair these with a chunky sweater, a cute branch coat rack, and a fresh pine scented candle for a complete gift for the Nature Lover on your list.



Emily Claire Studio Jewelry available on Etsy.com
What will you do differently this season to enjoy giving? 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It really makes me stop and think. So instead of rushing out into the chaos of holiday shopping, I'd love to join you in the slow, local experience of taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the season and support the local talent and small business owners of my community. Thanks for inspiring us. Lovely new jewelry too. Your beautiful new green earrings are perfect for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete