Sunday, August 10, 2014

Amethyst Inspiration

Having recently sworn off purple as "not my color" I suddenly find myself being drawn to it everywhere I see shades of lilac, amethyst, heliotrope, grape, violet, plum, and orchid.


Most recently at the Denver Botanical Gardens while visiting to see the Chihuly art glass exhibit-- which was amazing! As if the plants and flowers weren't enough of a reason to visit, if you live in Colorado you should definitely make the trip to see this show while you can. The glass art is scattered in among the plants and each piece stands alone as its own composition. The curves and textures and colors and shapes are mind bending. This was my favorite piece, glass reeds reflecting in the water and contrasting the round shapes of the lilies around them. The perfect finishing touch is a nearby lotus of the same perfect purple.

Check out more of my pictures from the Denver Botanical Gardens on my Instagram stream.

My bedroom has been styled in purple and green for a few years now. It's like a blooming garden color scheme. The natural shades of green seem more alive with the punch of purple. My mom, Anne of Springleaf Studios, was sweet enough to let me borrow this quilt of hers called Cascade made with some of her favorite (and my favorite) fabric choices of Kaffe Fassett prints. My comforter is apple green and my sheets are orchid purple, so this quilt was the perfect accent for my wall. According to some ideas of color psychology green has a soothing effect, while purple excites the imagination. 
Even though I'm loving purple more than ever I still don't love wearing it-- only as jewelry for some reason. Amethyst has always been one of my favorite gemstones (I wish it was my birthstone) and I've finally started to work with some of the amethyst that I've collected over the years. Purple strikes me as a brave and wild color. Its vibrancy is hard to capture in a photograph. Amethyst often comes from Africa (a darker shade) or Brazil (a more lilac tone). 

These amethyst pieces are available on my Etsy shop
And below are some new works-in-progress using some druzy amethyst quartz chunks in combination with some of my favorite quotes. 
 
These pieces are themed; the colors of stones are connected to the stamped images and messages on the back of the piece. I've really enjoyed creating these pendants, making bezels and adding granulation. Each piece will be a one-of-a-kind creation with an asymmetrical chain. More to follow this week as I finish these pieces.

Visit me at my next event at The French Nest market in Fort Collins on September 20th to see new work! 

1 comment:

  1. Amethyst is my birthstone and when I was younger I never liked it. Now I've come to really appreciate the beauty of the color and the stone. Still not my favorite color for clothes but when it comes to nature, purple is gorgeous. The perfect choice for your brave pendant! You are being very brave and I admire that.

    ReplyDelete